Why do we do cooking at Water Leys?
- Cooking forms part of the curriculum
- It encourages the children to become more independent and adventerous by trying different foods
- It gives the children the confidence to learn new skills
- Children learn the importance of hygiene and health and safety in the kitchen
- Children are taught the correct procedures when using utensils and appliances in the kitchen
- Children learn about healthy eating and what goes into a balanced diet
- Children learn to plant their own produce in the school grounds
- It is fun!
- It supports the main curriculum subjects
How do cooking lessons support the main curriculum subjects?
- Prices/Value of money
- Speaking and Listening
- Making hygiene and health posters
- Making recipe booklets
- Using books for research
- Learning about and producing foods associated with different religious and cultural events such as Diwali, Vasaki, Easter, Christmas and Chinese New Year.
- Identifying the changes when making different ingredients
- Learning the difference between Steam and Smoke
- Identifying solids, liquids and gases
- Turning solids into liquids by melting
- Using senses such as smell, taste and touch
Design And Technology/ Art
- Learning about presentation e.g decorating cakes and biscuits for school fundraising events
- Making gift bags
- Creating and designing recipe cards